Home‎ > ‎New accounts‎ > ‎

New accounts at UW-Madison

Welcome to the Materials Science Center!

Getting started

        1. Account setup

        Before funding can be set up for you the the MSC, you must first create a user account. You can do this                from calendars.microscopy.wisc.edu/Local/Login.aspx

        2. Funding

        The principal investigator must set up funding (and the funding must appear in the MSC database) before                 anyone in the group can be trained or use the Materials Science Center.  See fees page for rate information.

         The following form must be completed by the principal investigator and returned to Lori Snyder (rm 2713                  Engineering Hall, lori.snyder@wisc.edu)

        Funding form for new accounts at UW-Madison »

        3. Training

        If you need training on an instrument, please contact the staff member in charge of the equipment.

        List of Materials Science Center staff


Billing is submitted electronically on a monthly basis. A “test” bill is sent out after the first of each month, giving the principal investigator three days to review the billing charges and make any changes in the funding before the final billing is submitted.

Funding changes

Any requests to do funding changes after the billing has been submitted will have to be done by the principal investigator’s department staff as a non-salary transfer. The MSC can only change the current month’s billing and charges forward. The MSC will not be able to do retroactive changes, but you can ask your departmental accounting staff to do retroactive changes for you.

Funding expiration

Principal investigators will receive an e-mail about a month prior to an account expiring notifying them of the expiration date.

How do I get after-hours access to MSC?

After hours access either requires level two training on the appropriate instrument or permission from the MSC staff member who is in charge of the equipment or lab you want to use after hours. Please contact Chris Kailhofer (room 201C MS&E Building, 262-8175) for the after hours pass.

For after hours access to the x-ray equipment in ERB, students should get the form from the ERB loading dock. Then have Donald Savage sign it and take the form to Mitch in the ERB loading dock to get a key.

How do I get keys for after-hours access to the MSC?

Please obtain a key form from the MSC staff member in charge of the room in the MS&E Building you need after hours access to. Fill in the form, sign it, and take it to Chris Kailhofer (201C MS&E Building, 262-8175).